Becoming an Effective Mentor Workshop

Are you a graduate student or a postdoctoral scholars who is currently mentoring or planning to mentor an undergraduate? Here is an opportunity to build your mentoring skills in a workshop being offered by OUR Liaison Dr. Jenny Hayden and her colleagues.

Good mentoring can be learned! Effective mentoring in the lab can lead to greater research productivity, efficiency, and satisfaction. This mentoring skills workshop will offer a framework for developing a philosophy and style to guide decisions and actions in working with undergraduate students as well as a forum in which to discuss dilemmas that arise in working with those students. The six-week workshop curriculum was developed by the Wisconsin Program for Scientific Teaching and is supported by the Howard Hughes Medical Institute.  Those who complete the workshop will earn a certificate in effective mentoring in the research laboratory.

During the workshop, you’ll delve into the following questions:

– How do I design a (good) research project for an undergraduate student?

– Why are clear expectations so important?

– How do I establish effective communication with my student?

– How do I know when my student is ready to be more independent?

– My mentoring experience is going terribly, how can I fix it?

– What is my mentoring philosophy?

Other seminar goals:

– Discuss strategies for recruiting high quality undergraduates to assist with your research

– Write and revise your personal mentoring philosophy

– Network with other mentors from different disciplines

– Learn how to effectively manage your relationship with your own mentor

The discussion-based workshop will meet for six weeks, at one hour per week.  Participants can choose one of two sessions.

Session 1: Tuesdays March 25-April 29 from 4-5 pm in MacNider 132

Session 2: Wednesdays March 26-April 30 from 4-5 pm in Bondurant 4074.

Participants will be expected to attend all six sessions.

Space is limited, so we cannot accept everyone that registers. By registering here, you will be entering an application process wherein the workshop administrators will select the participants. You will receive a follow-up email if accepted or waitlisted.

Questions? Please email Jenny Hayden.

One Trackback

1. […] material is relevant to mentoring in other disciplines. This handbook is used as the basis for a mentoring workshop offered periodically by OUR Liaison Dr. Jenny […]

Post a Comment

Your email is never shared. Required fields are marked *

*
*